Translation

Actually, it is not for 1000 days. It is just that 3 years times 365 days plus June 27 through June 30, 2008 equals 1098 days, and that is way too cumbersome to convert into a blog headline. Futhermore, our release date will not be determined until May or June of 2011. Therefore, 1000 Days sounded just about right, more or less. Having noted all that, we are humbled and thrilled (Pres. Uchtdorf would refer to the feeling as "joyfully overwhelmed") about having this marvelous opportunity to serve in La Mision Mexico Veracruz.

Con amor,
Pdte. y Hna. Pete and JoElla Hansen

Sunday, August 15, 2010


A couple of months ago, this sister and her two children were batpized together. Every time someone is baptized, we send them a congratulatory letter with a picture of the Veracruz Temple enclosed. When we were in San Andrés for Dalia's baptism, we met the little girl in the picture. She came up to Mom and asked if she was the lady who sent out the baptismal letters. She then said that her mom and brother got one, but that she didn't.

This is Elder Hernandez' account of how the family was found:
"My companion, Elder Larsen [from Orem, UT], and I were working in the Jardín Branch. We were trying to find people to teach and were a long, long way from our apartment. I had diarrhea really bad. I mean really bad. I told my companion I really had to go, but there was nowhere to do that. Our only option was to find a house to go into and ask to use the bathroom. We knew not one person nearby. Our only option was to pray.

"So, I pulled my agenda out of my pocket. Elder Larsen stood near me and I pretended to study my agenda while praying softly, pleading with the Lord to provide someone to let us in. When done, we looked up. There was a fork in the road. I said, 'That one!' [He must have heard the Yogi Berra saying, 'When you come to a fork in the road, take it.']

"We started up the street knocking on doors. No one would let us in. I was desperate! I didn't know what was going to happen next. [He probably did.] At the next door, I told the lady, 'You must let us in so that we can share with you a message about Jesus Christ.' She said, 'Come in.' I was so happy!

But, my companion started to teach her. What was he thinking??? Did he forget my dilemma? I was dying and all he wanted to do was teach the gospel!!!

All of a sudden my distress left. I didn't have the problem anymore. The Spirit took over. It was a miracle. The lesson was very strong. The lady accepted a baptismal date. She also told us that her husband had died only a few days before and that she had been praying for help. We were her answer. They were all baptized."


So, we took a picture of her and Mom together, went back to Veracruz, and did another letter with the picture of the Veracruz Temple and also a foto of Mom and the little girl. It was hand delivered by the missionaries.

No comments: