Actually, it is not for 1000 days. It is just that 3 years times 365 days plus June 27 through June 30, 2008 equals 1098 days, and that is way too cumbersome to convert into a blog headline. Futhermore, our release date will not be determined until May or June of 2011. Therefore, 1000 Days sounded just about right, more or less. Having noted all that, we are humbled and thrilled (Pres. Uchtdorf would refer to the feeling as "joyfully overwhelmed") about having this marvelous opportunity to serve in La Mision Mexico Veracruz.

Con amor,
Pdte. y Hna. Pete and JoElla Hansen

Saturday, March 12, 2011

This is part of a letter from Elder Holman who is from Tigurd, Oregon. He has been serving as secretary to the president and after this baptism went out to be a district leader in Tuxpam.

"Last Saturday was the baptism of Rodolfo. I have been waiting 5 months for this baptism. Rodolfo came to church with his cousin Sandy (the one in the pink and black shirt) back in April. He came two weeks in a row and we went to go visit him. He accepted the baptismal date in the first lesson and was really excited to get baptized. However, he is under age and his mom wouldn't give permission. He kept coming to church every now and then but just recently started to come on his own and more frequently. We kept visiting him and teaching him to prepare him for baptism. We always had it in mind that we needed to talk to his mom and get permission. Well, the Friday that the hurricane came into town, the back part of their house flooded and the power went out so they couldn't use their pump to get the water out. Elder Canseco and I, Elder Campos and Elder Ray started hauling the water out with buckets. We didn't lower the water much but we were willing to help. The monday after the hurricane is when the new missionaries got here. Elder Canseco went with one of them to go see Rodolfo. It just so happens that his mom was there. Elder Canseco talked with her and explained the Restoration and that we have been preparing a baptism for her son for five months and before you know it, we got her signature on the form.

So Saturday we had the baptism. It was just the bishop and Rodolfo's family there but that is all who needed to be there. We had the opening song and prayer (offered by Sandy). I gave just a quick little talk and we followed with the ordinance. Before entering the water I asked Rodolfo what he was feeling. He told me that he was feeling good and he knew that this is what he should be doing. I had the wonderful opportunity to perform the ordinance. After it was done, I asked Rodolfo how he was doing. He told me that he felt emocionante. He felt good. He felt at peace. After we changed clothes, Sandy spoke a few words. As soon as she started to speak, I started to tear up and she started to cry. You could feel the spirit so strong in that room. It was one of the greatest services that I have had the joy of seeing. It was kind of a bittersweet moment. I was happy that I was baptizing, that I was fulfilling my purpose as a missionary but I was sad that I don't have much more time left to do it."

Elder Holman went home in January. Like him, Mom and I are sad that we will one day have to leave this mission. We love it like nothing we have ever done. In spite of opposition and challenges, there is nothing like seeing obedient missionaries grow and develop and put themselves into the position to be able to receive rewards for their good works.

No comments: