Translation

Actually, it is not for 1000 days. It is just that 3 years times 365 days plus June 27 through June 30, 2008 equals 1098 days, and that is way too cumbersome to convert into a blog headline. Futhermore, our release date will not be determined until May or June of 2011. Therefore, 1000 Days sounded just about right, more or less. Having noted all that, we are humbled and thrilled (Pres. Uchtdorf would refer to the feeling as "joyfully overwhelmed") about having this marvelous opportunity to serve in La Mision Mexico Veracruz.

Con amor,
Pdte. y Hna. Pete and JoElla Hansen

Saturday, February 13, 2010


A local stake president invites every Valiant (8-11 years old in Mexico) into his office to interview with him personally. He commits them so serve a mission. They come to an activity dressed in white shirts and ties. The stake makes them all little missionary-like name tags. They write "Elder" on them, which bugs me, and the leadership calls them all Elder So and So, which bugs me, but other than that it was good.

The full time missionaries serving in the stake all show up in suits. They team up with them in little workshops which are held after the opening session and a breakfast. The opening session included the stake president and I speaking. I showed them some slides of missionaries eating wierd food (iguana, armadillo) and them some baptisms. I told them the stories. At least part of these 8-11 year olds listened for at least part of the time. Not bad.

The highlight for me was the little guy, maybe 9, leading the music. I know; here I go again about the music. But, I wish you could have seen this. He was a chubby little guy with shorter-cropped hair sticking up all over like a soft, black brush. No gel for this "elder." His brown slacks were pulled up almost to his armpits. His yellow-splotched tie hung almost to his knees. He had kind of buck teeth and walked like I do, kind of lock-kneed like he doesn't have any cartilage in his joints. I think he is a little bit "special," but man, did he direct that opening song! You would have thought he was Gladys Knight and the SUV Choir.

At first, I thought he was "writing" his name in cursive for his beat pattern. That's what some do in seminary. But, no, he was punching the air for each note of the song. At the half notes or other holds he moved his slowly hand out to the right in a straight line and when the next note was struck on the piano, POW!, dead center and right on beat. It was a work of art. I leaned over the the stake president and told him that this little guy directs music better than all of my sister missionaries and most of the elders. You should try it. Do what I described while singing "Called to Serve." And don't laugh while you do it! Don't forget, you have to hammer every eighth note. I'm going to make Mom do it right now. Back in a second. I'm back. Yup. She's laughing. Now to the picture.

They lined up all the Valiants outside the chapel. The doors were locked. There was nothing special inside. It was just that the keyholder was quite late. Remember Elder Del Rincon? He is the missionary we are trying to get up to 100 pounds. He is about the size of the larger 11 year olds. That is why he is standing in line with the little guys just behind an 8 year old.

1 comment:

Clay & Amy Hansen said...

I'm glad you got a picture of the boys this time. I've loved reading about this in past years. Having the photo is great.